Friday, June 1, 2007

Twin scalpels of Damocles

I went in for one of my regular post-surgical checkups earlier in the week. Bad news: there's complications arising from my eye surgery in January. So, they have to operate again to remove my lens then replace it with a plastic substitute. I am *not* looking forward to it. I have to sit and wait until the surgeon calls me in for a preliminary examination and then a surgery date will be set. Suffice to say, this has cast a pall upon my mood lately.

I also have a pre-surgery checkup in the autumn with a surgeon in Eastern Canada who will be performing a very specialized and major operation related to my Condition sometime next year, date also unknown. This one I have mixed feelings about; on the one hand, I really want this over with so I can get on with life. On the other hand, I don't want to go under the knife again and certainly not for 6-8 hours.

I've had far too many surgeries for someone my age; one is too many and I've had at least 4 major ones so far for various reasons. To say that I hate surgery would be putting it mildly but it has become an unpleasantly unavoidable fact of life. It has been a traumatic time lately and I have practically no emotional reserves left; were it not for the love from my family, I would be lost. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed, praying that these two will be it for a long while, hopefully forever.

No comments: