Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bigotry

The appeal for overturning Proposition 8 in California failed today. Prop. 8 changes the Californian state constitution to explicitly ban same-sex marriages. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time that there has been an amendment to a state constitution to take away basic human rights.

I have no personal stake in Prop. 8 as I am neither an American citizen nor a California resident nor a lesbian. So why am I blogging about this?

Because this is wrong. It's hard enough to find happiness in this world, let alone a chance to share one's life with someone who loves you. Same sex marriages are private affairs, just like traditional marriages. To refuse a couple of the recognition and benefits of a matrimonial union that doesn't impact anyone else any more than traditional marriage is discriminatory.

Simply put, it's bigotry. You can paint it any way you want - it's Not The Way Things Are Done, or My God Said No, or any number of excuses. It's none of anyone's business who marries who unless if they are personally involved as friends or family.

Do you want to bet that most of the Californians who voted for Prop. 8 have never even met someone who's gay or lesbian? If so, then why are they taking away a shot at happiness that this minority needs?

Closer to home, I ran into a nasty case of bigotry and intolerance in my extended family tonight. I'm furious and sad at the same time. I'm fighting really hard not to hate those involved...and I think I'm succeeding. However, that doesn't fix the problem that they're bigots, so I've had to take clear and definitive action to preclude further flashpoints. Thank goodness I'm an adherent of Petrosian - sometimes being a good planner and strategist helps even at the cost of insomnia and depression.

No comments: