Friday, October 29, 2010

Varifocals

I went to the opticians to pick up my first pair of progressive lenses tonight. They're like bifocals except that the change in prescription between distance and near vision graduates slowly instead of having two sharp distinct areas. There is a channel of sharp vision right down the centre of both lenses with areas of distortion ("swim") on either side.

There is a period of adjustment with them and some people just can't adapt to varifocals so they have to return to single-vision lenses.

I hate carrying around reading glasses. They're really annoying. I'm afraid of breaking or losing them, both of which I've done in the past two months. I'm also paranoid about accidentally stabbing myself in the eye as I'm putting them on. The risk of that happening increases with frequency - it's the law of averages at work.

I rather like my progressives. The salesperson suggested I tried the Essilor Ovation lenses but that didn't work so well for me as the channel was way too narrow and the prescription was too weak. So, after a trip back to the optometrist for a slightly stronger prescription, I was back at the opticians for a new pair. This time, I opted for the Varilux Comfort and boy, does it ever make a big difference! The previous lenses had a very narrow lane through which vision was clear. The Comforts, despite being an older lens had a wider and more comfortable channel. I understand now why people say that once they've tried a Varilux, they'll never go back to another lens.

Inside, I'm a little depressed that I'm in old lady glasses now. *sigh* Aging sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real concern will begin when you take up knitting as a hobby. :)

Katherine said...

Umm...I *do* knit. Very infrequently though. I dislike the lack of resolution density caused by the thickness of the yarn. I'd love to do needlepoint except that I can't see well enough to do that...