Friday, October 29, 2010

Body and soul

In addition to my two dance classes a week, I've also begun a pointe self-study course. No, I'm not under any illusions that I'll ever dance pointe, nor is that the goal. I'm trying to improve my turnout and general form, which this course also does.

The course begins with exploring how the body feels when performing certain steps. I've always had good proprioception, an observation previously made by several other people in the past. Pilates had always been easier for me than the norm - when the instructor says, "Use this to do ", I've always been able to do it with a minimum of fuss mostly because I know which muscle group to activate. Now, I'm learning things on a far deeper level with this pointe course.

It's fun. It's painful, labourious and slow. I have to be careful not to overdo it and incur injury so I'm proceeding on a slower pace than normal. I do hope it's all worth it in the end. I'd be rather cross if it didn't help me at all.

No comments: