Friday, July 1, 2011

Hospitals

I had my surgery a little over a week ago. I spent the night in the hospital and I'm now back at home to recover.

I've been in hospitals a lot. I'd really rather that I didn't. This time though, it was an elective surgical procedure so I chose to be there.

Being in a hospital causes me to have mixed feelings about it. Generally, being in a hospital is a bad thing and for the most part, it is. On the other hand, being in the hospital has also given my life back and in one case, gave me a whole new life. They're not places where I want to spend my summer holidays at but at the same time, I'm glad that when I needed to be there, it was there for me to be at.

There is always a chance that my life will end in a hospital, as it does for so many others. I guess that if I had to choose a way to go, passing on peacefully in my sleep would be at the top of my list but failing that, dying in the hospital isn't a bad way to go either - at least there's someone around who has pain management solutions available.

2 comments:

Bob B. said...

With you all the way on this! Bring on the painkillers.

Katherine said...

It's not a good place to be, is it? :( I rather wish you didn't understand it quite as well as do you and I'm sure you feel the same about me.