Sunday, May 27, 2007

Age

I've been feeling deathly tired for the last few months. Not weary tired but exhausted tired - I'm starting to fall asleep standing up, literally. I'm needing a lot more sleep these days. Granted, it's been a very stressful few months but I've never been as exhausted as frequently or as long as this before.

I'm also finding that practically everyone I meet at work or socially is either around my age or younger. I'm also taking stock of my friends, most of which have either moved away or I have moved away from over the years. The family of a very close friend is moving away to the coast soon, a family I've known for almost (gasp!) two decades.

Hobbies with excitement don't really interest me anymore. Between a thrilling movie or a quiet book, I'd take the book any day. In about a decade, I'll be seeing some of my friends become grandparents.

I think I'm getting old.

Drat.

Genetically, I've already lived over half my lifespan, if my relatives and father's age at passing is any indicator. I've already had my (first?) midlife crisis - instead of the usual flamboyant stuff, I splurged on...a research-grade telescope. Yep, not only am I old, I'm boring too. *sigh*

Looks like I'd better tuck some cash away for a good facelift in a decade or so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To quote Sir Winston Churchill, "one doesn't grow old and stop playing games. One stops playing games and grows old."

Of course, when you see a middle-aged person trying to be "young" and doing the things that they did when they were in their twenties, besides the denial factor, it also doesn't speak well of their growth as a person. Over time you change. Hopefully grow. You shouldn't be doing the same things now that you did in college.

The important thing is to keep growing. I'm at least part nerd. I went to Silicon Valley because I needed the challenge. I worked for some of the best software companies in the world. I met some of the best and the brightest. In my fourteen years in Silicon Valley the most memorable person that I met was Amelia Reid. I took aerobatics lessons from her. Besides running her small company at the airport she sometimes did aerobatic exhibitions in airshows. And she loved what she did. And she loved life. She was in her mid-70's. And she wasn't old. She was just was she was.

Katherine said...

Yes, I know, dearie. You sent me that lovely e-mail sometime back, which I read from time to time to remind myself - thank you. It's not the mental age I'm concerned about, it's the physical age. The software industry is pretty brutal in terms of overtime and now, sleep is a *necessity*. *sigh*

Susan said...

How is it boring to indulge in your passion? At least, it has always seemed to me that astrophysics has been a passion for you. Boring is to while away the hours on mind numbing television, the very opposite of growing and engaging the world around you. When you stop growing, then you are indeed getting old! :)As for the whole sleep issue, I'm afriad there isn't much to be done about that other than to try and keep your perspective and your health!

Katherine said...

My sleep isn't going to get any better, alas; I've been so photon-starved that I'm heading out every chance I get.