Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas 2007

Well, here's my first semi-obligatory Christmas post. We had a very nice quiet Christmas at home. The kids were happy with their loot and I spent a few good hours playing with them. Yes, I know Christmas isn't about loot and prezzies - good luck explaining that to small children. That vacant look when you explain these things to them? That's not comprehension. What's going through their little minds are something like this: I have no idea what she's talking about oh boy I can't wait to get back to my super killer robot mmm candy canes in my stocking yum ah good she's done yay!

The day was filled with good food, good company, good cheer and the din of children hard at play. That's pretty much it. It's an ordinary Christmas all around. However, that's not necessarily true of some folks I know. This year, I've known one person who was laid off not two weeks from Christmas, one who's spending Christmas alone after what turned out to be a nasty divorce despite a good start and one who is finally spending Christmas with friends but is so haunted by her past that she's having trouble accepting it.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Christmas is a time for happiness and joy, good food and good family, hot chocolate by the roaring fireplace, carols on the radio. What we sometimes forget is that there are unfortunates out there who are spending the day alone. Not necessarily because they have no money, although that certainly happens a lot too. No, Christmas is only meaningful if you have friends and family. Which some people, good people at that, do not have. Sometimes that's because of their own doing. Other times, it's because they have family who don't know how to be family.

I recall spending Christmas alone. A lot of Christmases, really. I also remember back when I was young and religious sneaking out on Christmas day to attend Christmas service, knowing full well the seven kinds of hell that would descend upon me afterwards from my non-Christian parents. I'm not religious these days but we still celebrate Christmas for the kids' sake. For as long as they believe in Santa and have innoncence in their eyes, my sis and I will eat the horrendously large cookies left out every year for the most conspicuous and recognizable B&E repeat offender from the North Pole.

I'm rambling, can you tell? Turkey dinners make me fuzzy.

Ah well, time to head off to bed, methinks. Happy Christmas everyone!

No comments: