Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Holiday parties

Well, it's that time of the year again, when holiday parties abound. Parties held by friends are one thing, corporate events are another. I usually get invited to a couple of them and this year is no different.

Only this time, I had nothing appropriate to wear.

So, my dear long-suffering sister got dragged off to the malls with me a couple of weekends ago in a frantic search for something appropriate for me to wear. I hate dress-shopping with a passion. Darned dresses all have zippers or buttons or whatnot in the most inconvenient (read: unreachable) of places. Plus, you have to be an expert contortionist to get into some of them without ripping the fabric. Long story short, we found a nice little black dress that made me look good and professional.

At least, that's what I hope I look like when I'm wearing it. Given that the salesladies didn't burst out in hysterical laughter, I'm assuming it's safe. Only one problem - dresses are expensive so I have to find a way to pay for it. It's a little bit silly, really. Over the course of the last month or so, I've spent more on books and business attire than I have in ages. Sure hope things even out soon because we can't continue to bleed money like this.

Oh, while I was out trying to find a dress, I found a very nice teal green dress that I *absolutely* loved. Problem: when I got to the counter, I assumed it was priced like the other ones I was trying on...and my jaw dropped to the floor when it rang up as $340! Suffice to say, I didn't buy that dress but I did go back to try it again when the price dropped to $249 not three days later. You simply have to love clothing stores - it seems like pricing games are the norm there. I loved that dress but...$249 isn't what I would pay for it.

*sigh*

Looking pretty is expensive. Holiday parties are important for a myriad of reasons and those of you who know me well will know that Fun isn't anywhere on that list of reasons. They're an opportunity to network, to chat with folks you don't normally hobnob with in the industry, etc. Too bad the price of entry is an expensive outfit. It'd better be worth it...

No comments: