Saturday, February 9, 2008

Raw Soylent Green

It's been a very eventful two weeks thus far. In that time, I've had my responsibility increased in several non-family areas. On the one hand, I'm flattered and overawed by the trust that these folks have placed in me. On the other hand, I'm quite daunted by the tasks ahead of me.

Just last September, I was in a nice, solitary existence where I didn't have to deal with people much. That's been the case for as long as I can remember. Suddenly, I'm in not one but three (soon to be four) massively people-oriented positions.

I think it happened because I stopped calling people "Humans" or "Expendable Resources" or "Raw Soylent Green". Somehow, somewhere along the line, I started to care.

I've always been able to navigate my way through complex mechanical and electronic systems. Nowadays, I can see the complex systems that make up people's hopes and fears. It's not some magical revelation - I just didn't give a hoot about people in general (other than a very small and select group of friends and family) up until quite recently. Now that I do, I think the folks around me are a little gobsmacked that I'm interested in listening and helping them out. Once they've assured themselves that no, I haven't picked their pockets and that all their limbs are still intact, they're opening up to me.

It's quite an amazing feeling, really, to be in a position to hear and help other people overcome hurdles in their lives. I'm quite surprised that I can honestly say that there isn't even a tiny piece of me that still says, "Fools! Be lulled into your false sense of security and bring your neck closer! Bwahahahahahahaha!"

I blame this change on the treatment for my Condition. Or that I'm starting to believe in my own propaganda about Sweetness and Light. Ack.

No comments: