Saturday, March 22, 2008

And so it begins (again)

I am having a fabulously fun time with Sins of a Solar Empire, per my previous blog. It's fun, it's challenging and it brings back wonderful memories of my misspent youth playing games when I should really have been studying or socializing or...umm...never mind. I think I just realized why I was such a wallflower at school.

In the meantime, I've realized that playing Sins is less than optimal with a notebook trackpad, and by suboptimal I mean I get my head handed to me during the RTS portion of the game. So, I dug out my good old trusty Logitech V500 laptop mouse. After yet another session of getting creamed by the AI, I decided that *deep breath* it was time for me to invest in a proper gaming mouse. I haven't spent money on gaming hardware in years, so I knew what was coming - the hours of poring over reviews and comparing features and price points and whatnot.

Some of my friends swear by their gaming mice, that the fact they glow red or blue or something in the dark must add to their gaming prowess. I decided that perhaps having this glow-in-the-dark feature may help somehow in me forming better tactics. I decided to ignore the small niggling point that I play my games under bright illumination so I can't tell if it glows or not. Well, whatever gaming mojo it brings won't be deterred by something as mundane as room lights, eh?

I searched around for a glow-in-the-dark gaming mouse that won't bring down the wrath of an irate budget-conscious sister about my head. I found a few, but they looked weird and horribly expensive. I mean, I'd spend that much on a nice pretty pair of shoes but a gaming mouse? Good heavens, what kind of shallow person spends that much on computer hardware??!

So I sprang for a Logitech G5 gaming mouse. My sis was kind enough to tolerate my antics and picked one up for me during her run out today. *thinks for a bit* Whoa! Hey, it's a Laser mouse, and my ships in Sins uses lasers too! Coincidence? I think not!

I've been using it for several hours now. I'm still getting my head handed to me, but at least now I look cool while I'm playing. Well, I look cool if I turn off the lights so you can see the orange glow-in-the-dark effect. But then no one can see me, which dampens the coolness factor. Hmm. I think I need to go think about it some more.

Uh...where's the light switch?

No comments: