Thursday, May 1, 2008

Click for more info

Quite recently, I attended the kids' annual spring concert at their school. They gave a wonderful performance as always - the school has a surprisingly good music program and a very dedicated and enthusiastic teacher. I'm glad the kids are having the exposure and attention I never really received when I was a child.

When I was at the concert, there were legions of toddlers running. As in, literally running around while their distracted parents tried to discover the maximum storage capacities of their digital cameras. It was really distracting until I realized one thing I never noticed before.

The toddlers all looked like the generic townspeople in handheld console games. You know the type - small microbodies, plain faces, cutesy hair for the girls, large liquid eyes. Honest. I kept having to resist the urge to click on them for more information or to receive side-quests. It was...surreal, especially since I'm very sleep-deprived right now and stressed to boot.

Ugh. T-45 days. Who knew Einstein could be so right about relativity?

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

This is why I now carry around a game controller everywhere I go. I consider it Errant Parent Education. Whenever I see an untended child, I cackle loudly, point my controller in their direction, and begin to madly mash buttons. Errant Parents quickly leap into action and keep their children tidy for as long as I'm around. It's bliss.

Susan said...

Ha! I love that idea, I'm just too introverted to pull it off without looking like like a panicky tomato.

Katherine said...

I tend to just give them the Withering Glare. It usually works. For the more recalcitrant parents, I usually gather my young ones and tell them audibly but discreetly (it's an art) Not To Be Like That Child.

Sorry, but it peeves me off somewhat to find parents not managing their young. Shades of neglected children getting picked off by wolves spring to mind.

Anonymous said...

I tend to be a bit quieter about it. I let the kids know after the fact that if they ever become like that child or try to do whatever offensive behavior, I will string them up by their heels and leave them there for a few hours. :-) Works well.