Saturday, April 26, 2008

Future delusions

I've been pondering the future for quite a while and one career path that has become viable lately has been to become a Crazy Cat Lady.

Traditionally, this meant taking care of a horde of evil cats, muttering to oneself until death, whereupon the demise isn't noted for weeks until the police arrive and...never mind, it's not particularly pertinent.

I must admit that being a Crazy Cat Lady does have a certain appeal. For one thing, it's really quite distinctive: every block / neighbourhood / town / whatever generally has exactly one and only one Crazy Cat Lady. Everyone knows about her. And her death will be mourned by...well...someone else I'm sure. Probably not her neighbours though.

So, after some extensive thought, I've decided to get an early start on it. I now am the proud owner of 11 imaginary cats of all breeds, all named using prime numbers thusly: 2+i, 3+i, 5+i, 7+i,...

They can a bit of nuisance sometimes and I've always found it rather odd that the rest of them keep picking on 2+i, like as if she's different or something. I'm also wondering if I should have started off with quite that many cats - I still need to do the math as to whether this is really a factor. Having said that, I don't see any negatives in any of them. Plus, there's also a lot of misinformation about how to acquire more cats - I'll have to sieve the fact from fiction.

Hmm...the largest, fattest one (31+i) constantly demands my attention. I numbered them for convenience because I expect to have no problems getting a near infinite number of cats though the fact that they're imaginary does add a level of complexity to it. But "31+i" is a bit of a mouthful, even within my delusions. I'm thinking of naming her Mersenne - it's such a pretty name, wouldn't you agree?

My friends think I'm off my rocker. Perhaps they're right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meow! Meow, mee-ow, mew meOW.

Translation:

(Bring home some fresh tuna!)

Jeannie said...

Honey, if you started acting sane, I'd have to worry about you. BTW, you are ingenious.

Katherine said...

*curtsies* Thank you!