Friday, April 18, 2008

"The clock is running"

Today was a day of frenetic telephone calls related to surgery whereupon I found out that my surgery date got moved a day earlier. Nothing major but I was feeling pretty drained after all that, plus I had a very bad night because of some gory details of the impending operation had been told to me by a friend who at this very moment, has undergone the same procedure herself and is under a great deal of pain. In fact, she had some major complications with her medications today, which led to the doctors placing her back under observation. Long story short, I'm at the cusp of clearing all the hurdles, but not quite. It's hard to live life when so much of it is in the hands of strangers.

I headed home early because of the snowfall warning that was in effect. Lo and behold, there was a letter from the provincial health authorities in the mailbox. I got home, opened it in the car and read it.

Back during the heady days of the Moon Race, the phrase "the clock is running" meant that the rocket and crew have successfully lifted off and on their way into space.

The answer from the provincial health authorities was in the affirmative and the authorization to go ahead with the surgery has been granted. All in all, from when I first became aware of the possibility I may have the Condition to when the surgery will correct it will have been 3 years total, give or take a week or so. Even though it's been hours since I first read the letter, I'm still a little dazed and afraid to believe it.

I'm still not out of the woods yet - I was notified by the surgeon's office that I will be receiving additional instructions by mail next week. I assume this is the mandatory blood test, which if they find anything objectionable will cause me to get bounced back to the provincial authorities to await reassignment to the secondary surgeon. The clock's running, but I haven't "cleared the tower" yet.

Less than two months to go before I'm rid of the Condition. So close yet so far.

No comments: