Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sweet sadness

There comes a point in every girl's life when she has to choose between what she knows and how she feels, between what is safe and comforting versus new and daring.

That moment has arrived for me and to my amazement, I fear I have succumbed far, far too easily. Those of you who know me well also know me to be dependable, slightly boring and utterly unspontaneous.

That has changed. I have, at long last, given in to following where my senses lead regardless of established tradition, leaving behind the undiscerning innocence of my youth. When we first met, I was inexperienced, easily impressed. Alas, after all these years, I have grown beyond you; you limit me and I chafe at the confines. Yes, I know you both are very similar but you don't make my heart aflutter like my newfound love. Your nutty charms, that which I once found so endearing, have made you a liability to me - I fear that in this case, size does matter; I'm truly sorry. After all the good times we've had, if you could only change...but we both know you won't.

Farewell, dear one. Take solace that you have trained me well, that my new love is worthy.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Before any of you ask, the Ritter is made with real rum, which does give me the feeling of a fluttering heart if I eat too much at one time (yes, I still get the Oriental Blush).

Also, Cadbury whole almonds pose a severe threat to my rather expensive orthodontistry whereas the Ritter's chopped up hazelnuts aren't.

Hopefully that makes it clearer. You can go back to your snickering now.

Jeannie said...

Aha, the truth comes out. It's really the rum. You lush. I knew it all along! :)

Katherine said...

*hic*