Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Friendships

Over the weekend, the family of a close friend left the province to move to the East Coast. We've grown distant over the past little while as we went on with our daily lives but I've known them for 16 years now. Between the two of them, they raised three amazing kids. If I could be half as good as they were with their parenting, I would be ecstatic. I wish them all the best as they pursue their dreams. But I will miss them nonetheless.

That got me thinking so I took stock of my relationships and realized just how many lives I've had the privilege to connect with over the course of the two decades or so since I arrived in North America. I try to call all of them at least once every six months or so. Our lives have intertwined at some time in the past and though we are not seeing one another daily any longer, when we chat it's like as if we haven't really been apart.

Friends are amazing. Seriously.

No comments: