Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pruning one's life

Well, I'm getting some responses back from folks I talked to at the conference recently. Looks like I'm going to be a pretty busy gal in a bit. There are four non-negotiable priorities: family, health, work and my studies. After that, I have my volunteer work (science outreach/education and computational support/analysis) and my D&D.

I have a nasty feeling that I'm going to run out of time mighty quick. I suspect that D&D's going to be the first to get dropped but I hope not - I really do enjoy not being myself once every two weeks. Helping out with processing astronomical data is my first step towards my new career so dropping that would pretty much mean delaying my dream of moving to an astronomy/astrophysics career. Science outreach/education is something I'm passionate about - anyone who's a parent or guardian these days will (hopefully) notice the precipitous drop in both quality and depth of science education. I don't expect to halt that but I do hope to bring the spark of knowledge to some child's life, even if it's just my kids.

Ah, choices!

p.s. Before I get IM'ed to death about it, yes, I *know* my avatar picture doesn't look much like me. I've already spent way too much time twiddling with it and I'm not doing anything more!

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Real, old-time, on the table D&D? Or online D&D? Just curious. :P We've been making rumbling noises about revisiting Neverwinter Nights. Not that either of us have had time to pursue that notion, but we miss "seeing" our long-distance friends. And since a majority of us use games to unwind, it seems like a perfect way to catch up with each other.

Katherine said...

Honest-to-goodness pen-and-paper tabletop D&D. 3.5e, to be precise. I'm not willing to pay the monthly subscription for DDO though. I have to admit, I miss our NWN days.