Thursday, February 25, 2010

Going dotty

Not too long ago I applied and was accepted to the Hadley School of the Blind on the recommendation of the local association for the blind. I'm not blind but I have very poor eyesight from many many surgeries and am definitely at risk for my vision getting worse. So, I decided to proactively learn Braille and signed up for the basic Braille course with Hadley. My material arrived tonight in a very large envelope. I'm supposed to complete the entrance assignment before they even place me in the course except that there's one small problem.

The handbook and the assignment sheets are all in Braille. Not just Braille but with Grade 2 Braille contractions. So, I'm in a bit of a chicken-or-egg situation here - I signed up with Hadley to learn Braille but I need Braille to get into the course I'm trying to learn Braille in.

I hope it's a mix-up. I suspect I may have filled out the application form incorrectly or something so I'll be giving the folks at the school a call in the hopes that I can straighten things out.

As I was perusing the material tonight, I had very mixed feelings about it. There was definitely excitement at learning something new, of course. There's also awe that we have found a way to provide printed medium to those without sight. Then there's the dread and trepidation that I might lose mine someday.

Not sure how I feel anymore. I've been very emotionally numb for the past week and a half so I should really cache this for later.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I have a sheet listing grade 2 contractions Kate. I can make a copy for you if you like.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy and appreciate your eyesight now. Don't ruin what you have now by worrying about what might, or might not, happen in the future. It's going to happen, or not, whether you worry about it, or not. If it does happen, there will be plenty of time for missing it then. No point in starting until you have to. The cup is half full - until it isn't :-)

-Gary

Katherine said...

@Susan Yes, please. We have a copier here if that's easier.

@Gary Be assured that I'm appreciating and thankful for my eyesight. It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of being prepared. Okay, in this case there's a fair amount of fear but there's other factors involved.

Thank you both!

Anonymous said...

Kate - I didn't mean to even imply that you shouldn't prepare. You should. Prepare - but try not to dwell on it. And obviously I understand this is easier to say than do. I appreciate my own good health. But there is a difference between planning for a possible future and dwelling on the implications. Again, easier said than done, but I guess my point would be to prepare for what might happen, but dwell on the present.
-Gary

Katherine said...

Gary, thanks - while I am indeed dwelling on it a little bit, it's not something I obsess overly much about these days. :)