Thursday, March 5, 2009

Carpe diem

Those of you who know me well can probably count on a single hand the number of times you've seen me relax. Some of you may have never ever seen me relaxed. No, really - the last time I did let go enough of my daily stress was when I was stargazing and if you were there, it'd be pitch dark so you literally couldn't have seen me relaxed, right? :)

There's been quite a few changes since my surgery last year, some bad, some good. I wasn't expecting an increase in happiness or anything like that; I had expected things to stay mostly the same. Fortunately for me, it hasn't. Some rather delightful changes have happened which have caught me completely by surprise. So now, I'm giddily exploring options and interests that had previously been closed to me.

I do admit, it's been quite nice.

For example, I seem to be more susceptible to good romantic poetry now. And surprisingly, my interest in flowers have been rekindled. I know this will shock most of you - I like sunlight in my room. In fact, my sis and I will be rearranging my room soon so that I can wake up in the morning to the gentle warming caress of sunlight.

Oh, and framed art in my room when we redecorate. And a vase or two for fresh flowers, when I'm fortunate enough to get them.

Most of all, I have a life outside of work now! Friends I can talk to, communal activities and joy to be had.

As with all things, I realize that it too shall pass. For as long as I have it, I shall be unabashed to explore that which is fulfilling and joyful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

>For example, I seem to be more susceptible to good romantic poetry now
>
And this is a good thing? I suggest another operation, or at least a full refund.

-you know who :-)
P.S. This does lend more credence to the idea that you couldn't possibly defend Sanity, because you wouldn't recognize it if you saw it.

Katherine said...

*ahem* Good romantic poetry is a positive thing, yes. No, I don't need another operation, unless you're referring to a frontal lobotomy. Oh wait, I'm a marketing manager now. Never mind, it appears I've already had one. :)

I can defend my version of Sanity, not yours. Besides, mine's more interesting because it's got good romantic poetry in it!

Katherine said...

And yes, I do know who you are, flyboy. :)