Friday, November 16, 2007

Hunger

I had a few errands to run in the downtown core this morning so I stopped to grab a quick breakfast at one of the multinational fast-food megachains. Completely by accident, I recently discovered that their breakfast burrito contained an egg-product that tastes disturbingly more like egg than real egg. I'm not sure how they do that and I definitely don't want to know how. I do like the taste so I indulge sparingly.

I was reasonably happy, calm and at peace this morning instead of my usual rush-rush-rush mode so I sat down with my order and did a bit of people-watching. I'd been to this particular fast food outlet before but I guess I must have been preoccupied previously because I noticed something I had never noticed before: the people there were eating but all of them appeared miserable. They eat but they still look empty inside, their hunger unassuaged.

Maybe I'm imagining it but there's a terrible look of despair in their downcast eyes as they munch on cheap, low-grade food. Yes, we don't have as much hunger in Canada as other places in the world does but are fast-food joints the answer? The food they serve is tasty but absolutely terrible to your health. We have a serious obesity problem on our continent; the fast-food companies are not entirely to blame but they are certainly instrumental and enablers to our obssity epidemic. I understand that the industry has a term for folks who frequent fast-food joints: they are called Heavy Users, which at least to me, brings to mind drug usage. That said, they not all to blame: the diners had a choice not to eat there.

Or do they?

If you're strapped for cash, what will you do: go hungry (non-viable long term), eat cheaply but poorly or eat well but deplete your dwindling funds? When you can have a lunch for $2, would you do that or go to the local grocery chain to get something healthy? Remember, the healthier it is, the more expensive it will be - that is the twisted logic in our industrial world today.

But the despair. The silence, which was only broken by the shrill punctuation of the fast-food joint workers calling out orders. Everyone looking down at their food, not talking even to the person they're eating with.

Yes, I know, I'm eating there so what right do I have to comment and judge? Comment yes, judge no - I don't know the stories of the folks there. But it is non-trivial to me that everyone's there sitting and munching quietly with an aura of gloom. Maybe they're sleepy? Maybe it's too early in the morning? Perhaps.

Why am I affected? I'm not sure I know. It's just depressing to see that such a joyless place exists. Colourless diners in a colourful diner, filling their mouths in all-consuming silence.

1 comment:

Susan said...

If you really want an interesting insight into the industrial food chain, read "The Omnivore's Dilema" sometime. Granted it focuses on the US food chain but it gives some interesting background in terms of goverment policy and the history of the food chain.