Thursday, November 1, 2007

Transitions and Blessings

Looks like this year is a year of changes! I've been reviewing my job expectations as set out in the employment contract and have been doing some research and learning to get up to speed.

I'm beefing up on my PowerPoint and MS Project skills. Whee. After nearly two decades in the industry, I can't believe that I'm finally listing PowerPoint and MS Project in the Skills section of my resume. And that over time, things like C++ and OOP will fall by the wayside to be replaced by PMP and PgMP certifications. Eeep. On the plus side, it looks like all my hard-earned Dale Carnegie Communication coursework is going to come in handy now.*

One of the things that really sunk in today is that I will not be coding in my new job. This...is disturbing on many levels. I've been a coder all my career, even during the times when I was managing other people. To be in a role where writing code is not my primary responsibility is a major shift for me.

Yes, it looks like I've now truly given in to the Dark Side when I'm prevented from touching the code.

It does look like an excellent company though, with a good atmosphere and extremely bright folks. I talked with the dev team and they're a very bright bunch. Far brighter than I am - I guess that's why I'm managing them. :) All in all, I'm very excited and honoured to be a part of their team. I don't blog about my workplace but I figured praise is okay!

My mental state switching from "looking for jobs" to "between jobs waiting to start" is quite noticeable. For one thing, I'm completely and utterly exhausted today. I feel like a puppet with her strings cut. I think the stress and worry of the past month has finally caught up with me, now that I've got a job and can relax a bit. I'm excited but horribly tired. Lying in bed alternating between sleep and relearning Agile SCRUM principles isn't a bad way to spend one's day.

Lots to learn, less than a month to get up to speed. This is definitely a year of transitions. But...I'm happy and so is my sis and kids - this is also a year of blessings. Family is ultimately what matters, innit?

*Semi-private sidenote to GH and JG: if I ever end up sounding like AB, please give me a good kick to the head. This is very concerning to me! ;)

1 comment:

shital said...


Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

PMP Certification