Tuesday, March 6, 2007

One down, one to go

A few weeks ago, my Condition had progressed to the point where it was going to impact my work. Given my physical state, there was no way I could carry on in the same role at work. So, I had to inform my bosses, who didn't really know what to do. I had given it a lot of thought prior to talking to them and I had some ideas on how my role in the company would evolve. They took it under advisement and I didn't really hear much after that except when I queried my office admin about some of the HR changes needed.

Well, yesterday was the day that management and I had agreed on to tell the rest of the office staff about my Condition and the very different new role I would be transitioning to. My office is just a small satellite branch of the company so I decided to write personalized letters explaining my Condition and why it had to impact my position that radically. Most of my co-workers are also friends and I felt they deserved a personal explanation as opposed to just the official company announcement. The twenty or so letters took me about 6 hours but I did them all on Sunday night.

On Monday, I delivered the letters by hand to the staff a few minutes prior to the all-staff meeting. Everyone had a chance to read it and the meeting was mercifully uneventful; the general manager gave a talk expressing his understanding of my Condition and how I was going to be moving to a different role in the company (the reason for the recent shopping for a new wardrobe). The letter from the executives declaring their full support for my role transition was distributed. I talked for a couple of minutes and then opened the floor to questions. There were none and it was over. It had progressed as we had predicted; in this Internet age, even rare, odd ailments are taken in stride as one can always Google it to learn more about it.

Moving into the new role is a big change for me, the biggest I've ever had to do in my career. Big enough that my sis (bless her heart!) came by to lend her support to me in the meeting. Realistically, it's a step back; they can't lower my salary at my current company but I will be expecting to take a big pay cut should I choose to leave and work elsewhere. I don't really have a choice; my Condition isn't going to go away, ever. So in the long run, doing this lateral shift is my only option.

Afterwards, one of my worst rivals in the office came by and shook my hand, expressing his understanding and support for me. It was totally unexpected and quite touching. Several others came by too, all telling me they will support me in this. I have never felt love in the office and I still don't. The work culture just isn't fuzzy-huggy like that - the men outnumber the women 9-to-1. I was touched by the open acceptance and support by most of my co-workers though, something I had both expected and didn't, if you know what I mean.

Today, the staff in the US head office got told about my changing role and the reasons behind it. I also found out today that a colleague in my group down there has family who also suffers from the same Condition. Small world.

In a previous life, I would be feeling rather smug that everything went according to plan and patting my own back for being the wonderful genius planner that I was. Instead, I'm amazed, impressed and grateful at how accommodating the company was of my special needs, from the executives all the way down to my cubicle neighbours. Knock on wood, that support will continue when I actually assume my new role in two weeks. I guess the Condition does have a good side to it - it's reminded me of something I lost long ago in my mad rush for a good career; that most people are inherently good and won't kick you when you're down. It seems I have a long road ahead of me before I can reclaim my humanity.

Now that that's all over with, I can get on with my life, which currently involves a nasty head cold.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad it went that smoothly for you Kate. And I'm glad Dana was there for you as well. Time will tell of course but for now we can all hope that your new role in the company will work well for you.