Saturday, March 24, 2007

An Uneventful Week

Some of you have asked, so I'm making a short post to address how my week has been - thank you for your concern. My first week at work in my new role has gone by rather quickly. It's been a comfortingly uneventful week. I'm still being invited out for lunches with the usual folks, which was something that was in doubt given the radical change in circumstances. All in all, I'd say the most of the staff has been quite mature and supportive, which was what I had mostly expected. I work with good people and a good company, something I'm quite grateful for.

I did have several disturbing conversations with some co-workers and former co-workers this week when we bumped into each other electronically over IM. They know about my Condition but are focusing on the more sensationalist aspects of it. That in of itself isn't surprising but what is surprising and disappointing about it are the people who inquired down that line of convesation - these are (were?) the people I have had very good, cerebral conversations with in the past and whose opinions I valued and respected. I guess simply because you're smart doesn't mean you aren't crude.

*sigh* I would have thought I had outgrown the naive phase by now but I guess not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll admit I've wanted to ask (if it's the question I think it is), but figured it wasn't tactful. :) But then I *am* crude, I just pretend to be otherwise in polite company. *hugs* to you, sweetie.

Susan said...

There are some people that I can ask very personal questions of them freely, and they do in kind. There are others that I know would be uncomfortable if I were to ask such things so I do not bring them up. And in other cases I just figure the question really does not affect my relationship with them in the grand scale of things so why even go there?