Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Strife and Healing

I am in the middle of a month-long argument with someone very dear to me. Unfortunately, from my point of view the dispute involves Love and Trust, two non-negotiable principles for me. As I understand it, her point of view involves a very different kind of Love and her Career, two non-negotiable principles for her.

There is a point in every relationship when the love runs out. For me, that has happened out of self-defence. You can't keep loving someone when it hurts you so badly and that person shuts you out of the matters that hurt you so much by not even making a discernable effort at communicating. I say discernable because I am fully aware that I am not blameless; any relationship failure takes the sins of both parties to happen.

I fear that our relationship has come to an abrupt end and the fallout will take its toll on us and innocents alike for years. We both knew it was a matter of time. I wished that it happened later so that it didn't cause hurt to innocents.

My biggest mistake was not dealing with this head-on sooner. I hate the situation we're in and I hate the events leading up to it. I don't hate the person but it's only a matter of time before I do that too unless if some healing happens, for both sides.

I was faced with a Hobson's Choice: I could either compromise my core values or lose this relationship. I chose the former; no other person is worth losing one's soul over.

For what it's worth, I do wish the other party all the best. I hope she finds love and happiness in what she does and that's an honest hope. I don't think she understands this but I do regret the hurt I've caused her. We've both been hurt enough; it would be good if we started over afresh and healed together. Failing that, we heal separately. The main thing is that we heal.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

It's amazing how hard it can be to stick to your princlples, especially when it puts you against someone you care about. You done good, even though you don't feel good about it.

Katherine said...

Thanks, Nathan. It's dark times like this that I appreciate friends like you for comfort. You're right - when you're up with someone you love, it's tough to stick to what you know to be the truth. And to know if the truth is worth it.