Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Beautiful math

I recently switched to Pages and while it's beautiful, it doesn't have the embedded equation editor that Microsoft Word had. I used the free LaTeX Equation Editor and I was happy for a time.

Then it crashed one night and I couldn't get it to work again. To cut a long story short, what was a simple application crash turned into a Quest for the Ultimate Equation Editor.

Snatching spare moments here and there over a day and half, I investigated practically every equation editor for the Mac until I finally settled on MathType. MathType is heart-stoppingly beautiful. I normally do an equations/formulae index for my courses and this used to be a chore with Microsoft Word's equation editor. Now, it's another form of procrastination as I lovingly craft each equation in Pages.

Perfect little equations with crisp serifs. Can STM typesetting get any better than this?

No comments: