Monday, September 10, 2007

Chalk outlines

At least once a year, I get hyper-stressed and two things start happening: I start playing chess and I start looking for outliner applications.

Yes, I know I can get better results by sleeping more and eating better. Hush.

The chess part refocuses my mind and I start being able to see my way through the morass that is my To-Do list. The outliner apps help me organize my tasks.

Over the years, I've gone through quite a few. Right now, I'm using OmniOutliner. It's quite powerful but not really what I want. In all the years, I've only found 2 that fit my style: Bonsai and PersonalBrain. I no longer own a Palm, so Bonsai's out. PersonalBrain takes a little while to get used to, but it's really powerful.

Then I realize it'll cost me $249.

Suddenly, OmniOutliner doesn't look too bad.

*** Update ***
Looking at all the outliner/mindmappers made me realize I haven't taken a close look at my current To Do list. So having decided to stay with OmniOutliner, I opened my file up and started updating it. A few hours later, I finish adding some large number of items (800-1000), save it and went to bed.

The blasted file won't open the next morning. No, seriously, I couldn't open it - it kept telling me that the document wouldn't open.

Great, I've broken yet another outliner. *sigh* I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I break my outliner/task managers on a regular basis due to sheer volume of tasks entered.

Now, I'm back to square one. Do I stick with OmniOutliner or do I spring for something new? My thought processes have changed significantly since I first bought OO and I'd have to update my AppleScripts to do it the way I want. Hmm. Mayhaps further investigation is in order.

No comments: