Monday, September 24, 2007

Calculating education (part 3, final)

Over the weekend, I submitted an order for a HP 50G. I had a look at the TI-89 Titanium and found the lettering hard to read in poor lighting whereas the HP 50G had good contrast. I've negotiated with the Family that the calculator is to be financed as my birthday gift, which is coming up in a few months. Getting a graphing calculator for a birthday is like someone giving me a good chef's knife; it's more like utilitarian equipment than fun, but I derive great pleasure from using it to do work nonetheless. Yes, I'm weird - you have to get in line if you want to tell me just that. :)

My HP 49G+ is going to a good home - I'm giving it to someone who is in occasional need of a programmable calculator and types significantly slower than I do. It's not going to be used to its fullest capabilities but let's be realistic here - how many of us really work our modern-marvel calculators that hard anymore?

Someone pointed out that the TI-Nspire is apparently programmable with the latest update. Good for them - I hope their line has great success! Heaven knows, only HP, TI and Casio are really in the game anymore. :( To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that I had thought it was non-programmable (and it wasn't until the latest update) and that I couldn't find them in the stores (for now, it's only for sale in universities and schools only, if I'm not mistaken), I'd be sorely tempted to get a TI-Nspire. Heck, if I can find them at a reasonable, affordable price I'd get one! Umm...once I've recovered from paying off my PB4 and the HP 50G, that is...

Now I'm waiting for my calculator to arrive. I ordered in from TigerDirect.ca, from whom I had ordered other things before. Their website says it'll ship in 24 hours but my order now tells me that it's awaiting shipment from the drop shipper, may take 7-10 days before shipment. Hmm. Well, as long as it arrives before my finals, I'm happy.

No comments: