Friday, September 21, 2007

Calculating education (part 2)

A few new findings from today:
1. After using RPN for such a long time, doing things infix just seems wrong. If I want to use non-RPN calculators (i.e. anything non-HP), I'd better unlearn RPN data entry.
2. The latest HP update was from August 2006. The last TI-89 update was from July 2005.

From the way things look, TI is banking on the yet-to-be-general-released non/low-programmable TI-Nspire as the next generation of calculators. I'm not really interested in non-programmable calculators.

So, I'm back to the HP 50G, which is really what the HP 49G+ should have been. I get a functional keyboard for the HP-50G. Whee.

*sigh*

2 comments:

Michael said...

TI-Nspire just released a free operating system update for TI-Nspire, and it has programming! I'm using it now!

Katherine said...

Ooo, nifty - thanks for the update, Michael!

The thing is, I've ordered my HP 50G already, seeing that I have finals coming up in a month's time. I eventually ixnayed the TI-89 Titanium for good because I just can't read some of the lettering in bad lighting. My HP 49G+ is going to a good home: someone who needs a programmable but doesn't type as fast as I do.

Do let me know how the TI-Nspire works out, please. It looks like a very neat machine!