Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sanity Defence

A dear albeit very literal-minded friend :) of mine asked a few days back as to when the "sanity" will be addressed in this blog, much less defended. A fair question, even though it was spoken in jest. Still, here goes...

The "sanity defence" is, of course, a play on the oft-abused insanity defence. In my case, given that I have the now often mentioned Condition, this blog is a venting as well as informational/communication conduit for my far-flung but precious friends.

The "sanity" part will get addressed as soon as I find any of it - don't hold your breath! Seriously though, those of you who have known me will probably have been taken aback when you found out I had the Condition and which course of treatment I have decided to take. If nothing else, this blog will reassure you of the fact that yes, I'm still the nutty eccentric anal-retentive friend you used to know. There are changes (of course) but hopefully for the better.

The "defence" part is not to plead for sanity but is exactly what the tagline says, to keep the everyday madness at bay. Let's not mince words - my life had not been normal by any stretch of the imagination. Paradoxically, it's far more normal now than it had been before I started treatment.

Which brings me to something I've been mulling over for some time now - this is addresed to the friends and family I had originally started this blog for. Is this blog really necessary any longer? I mean, I do call all of you at least twice a year to keep in touch. That's more effort than most of you put up - you know who you are! *grumble* If anything, I think it's getting obvious that this blog is approaching its end of life in terms of usefulness. Things are normal enough now that I can quite easily slip into the stream of everyday madness with nary a ripple.

I'll be keeping this up for a bit but I suspect I will cancel the blog around Christmas-ish. Sound good?

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I personally enjoy the blog, and hope you would continue with it, even if it no longer fills its original purpose.

We both know how bad I am at any form of personal correspondence. Hell, I haven't posted to my own blog in over a month.

At least this way I have some clue what is going on in your life, without having to remember how to dial a fellytone.

Susan said...

You had at one point been considering a different type of blog, would you pursue that when this is finished? Another point, even if the original purpose has come and gone, could this blog serve another purpose that would be fulfilling to you?